Cricket thriving in the heart of Welsh communities: Our Community Work
The award-winning Glamorgan community programme aims to use the values that are central to cricket as a way of increasing educational performance, promoting healthy lifestyles and encouraging more people from more diverse communities to play and follow cricket.
1) Together with Cricket Wales
We are supporting Cricket Wales in leading, inspiring & influencing the growth, quality & accessibility of cricket in Wales. We want to create a sense of belonging to one sport through a proactive partnership with Cricket Wales. Some of the ideas we are developing together are:-
• Creating a joint membership system where all junior club registration forms and subscriptions are completed online. By registering online each junior club member will receive a free Young Buds membership.
• 5 prestigious recreational matches being held at The SSE SWALEC each season
• A joint newsletter bulletin issued to 750 contacts across commuity cricket
• Appearances by professional players to over 40 clubs this year
• Joint training for staff of both organisations;
• Creation of a Foundation for charitable giving
• School Resource & School Offer: A joint Cricket Wales and Glamorgan School resource will be distributed to schools during the summer term showing what both organisations can offer schools.
2) More young people, adults & families involved & retained within cricket
Through the Cricket development officers and community coaches we strive to inspire young people to play the game and encourage them to carry this through to join healthy and welcoming clubs.
3) Cricket is easily accessible to everyone in Wales
We aim to ensure that local cricket reflects the blend of our communities and to that effect we have projects which are encouraging more people from black and ethnic minorities, more girls and more people with a disability to play cricket.
4) People have a fun, enjoyable & positive experiences in cricket
Customer satisfaction is an important piece of information nowadays in a fact changing world. We need to make sure that the offer of cricket is relevant and appropriate for society and so we take periodic insight surveys to ensure we can adapt and offer cricket in as effective a way as possible.
5) Be the best you can
We call this the pathway and through club recommendations, regional age group representative cricket and a network of very experienced coaches, we work closely across Glamorgan and Cricket Wales to produce the future Glamorgan professionals.
6) Open the doors of The SSE SWALEC at the heart of our community
7) Club Ambassadors: In 2016 the offer for each club includes:-
• 1x T20 season ticket for each Ambassador as part of the expectation that clubs will actively promote Glamorgan CCC tickets as a means of creating social events
• Every club that sells 30+ T20 tickets will receive 2 free tickets for the England v Pakistan One Day International.
• The club that sells most T20 tickets by July 21st will receive 10 free England v Pakistan One Day International Tickets and a guard of honour opportunity.
The 2017 offer will be confirmed in due course
8) Use the profile of Glamorgan CCC to support charities and good causes in Wales
• We are supporting seven charities this year at our T20 matches and we also use our players to act as ambassadors in this respect as well.
Furthermore a risk that has been identified is that of radicalisation in the community, so we are also creating a set of bespoke workshops to prevent radicalisation. A pilot was launched in 2016 with one group tested and with a successful outcome this initiative will be launched in the summer 2017.
CLICK HERE to see how we are tackling radicalisation and marginalisation of young people in Wales
• We hope to make The SSE SWALEC a place where people can become healthier through physical activity (walking and cycling) and also in the area of mental health where we know that Cricket can play an important role in helping those with dementia, depression and loneliness.