15th August (4 days) 11:00 Bob Willis Trophy Sophia Gardens Cardiff
116 & 197-8
Match Drawn
Glamorgan draw with Gloucestershire at Cardiff


Chris Cooke (59*) and Nick Selman (55) led a rearguard action on the final day of Glamorgan’s rain-affected Bob Willis Trophy match against Gloucestershire at Sophia Gardens, with the Club captain batting for four and a half hours to see his side to the safety of a draw.  



Day 1

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Afternoon Update

After a blank morning session, the rain continued to fall at a dank and overcast Sophia Gardens. The umpires made a further inspection at 1.10pm but with the rain still falling, the start was further delayed.The umpires made a further inspection at 2.45pm at which it was decided to take tea at 3.10pm, and to look again at 3.45pm. However, with drizzle still falling and further rain forecast, it was decided to call off play for the day.

Morning Update

Rain had fallen overnight and throughout the early morning in the Welsh capital, and it was still falling when the players and officials arrived for their medical checks ahead of Glamorgan’s first home game in the newly-instigated competition. After an initial inspection by the umpires – Jeff Evans and Ian Blackwell – they have decided to look again at 1130am. But with the precipitation returning, they decided to take an early lunch at 12.30pm and to look again afterwards.

Whilst Glamorgan secured a draw at Worcester in the recent round of matches in the Bob Willis Trophy, Gloucestershire clinched victory by 78 runs over Warwickshire earlier this week at Bristol. It was at the West Country team’s headquarters last summer where the Welsh county defeated Gloucestershire by four wickets, with Marnus Labuschagne helping his adopted county successfully chase a target of 188 in 49 overs.

It was a different story though the last time Gloucestershire visited Glamorgan’s headquarters during 2018 with the West Country side winning by nine wickets after Jack Taylor made a vibrant century whilst his brother Matt took five wickets in Glamorgan’s second innings. Teenager Ben Charlesworth also made 72 whilst Craig Miles – now with Warwickshire – completed an eight-wicket match haul.

Once again, there are some notable personal milestones looming for the Glamorgan players with all-rounder Graham Wagg also requires four further wickets to reach the milestone of 250 first-class wickets for Glamorgan, whilst batsman Billy Root, after his excellent century at Worcester needs a further 53 runs for 1,000 first-class runs for his adopted county.

Day 2

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Close of Play Report

Heavy rain started to fall during the tea interval, accompanied by rumbles of thunder and with the precipitation still falling at 5.15pm, the umpires abandoned play for the day

Afternoon Report

Glamorgan began the session on 27-0 as Matt Taylor and Josh Shaw resumed the bowling duties, but after nine balls, it became 27-1 as Selman edged Shaw to George Hankins at second slip with the fielder diving low to his left to complete the catch. Shaw then struck again in his next over as he bowled Hemphrey, with Kiran Carlson and Billy Root joining forces and looking to steady the ship. Carlson duly steered Shaw through backward point for four but with the total on 42 he became the third man to depart as he edged a delivery into Gareth Roderick’s gloves.

Chris Cooke opened his account by flicking Taylor to fine-leg for four but with Glamorgan having reached 50 he departed leg before as David Payne returned at the River End. Tom Cullen joined Root and like his predecessor, he also began with a boundary to fine-leg but there was little on offer from the visiting attack with the first boundary in front of the wicket coming in the 40th over as Root pulled a short ball from George Scott to the ropes at mid-wicket.

But in Scott’s next over he removed Cullen who edged into Roderick’s gloves and became the fifth batsman to depart with the total on 71. Dan Douthwaite then announced his arrival with a booming off-drive for four against Scott as Glamorgan reached 80-5 at tea.

Morning Update

The opening day of Glamorgan’s Bob Willis Trophy match with Gloucestershire at Cardiff, like the third day of the England-Pakistan Test at the Ageas Bowl, saw no play yesterday leaving the players on both sides at Sophia Gardens hoping that today would dawn brighter and without the conveyor-belt of moisture which saw almost spells of drizzle and heavier downpours throughout yesterday.

At first though it was a case a déjà vu as the players and officials arrived with a low cloud cover, light rain falling and the hovercover and protective sheets all across the square. After an initial inspection at 10.00am, the two umpires – Jeff Evans and Ian Blackwell – once again decided to delay the start and to make a further inspection at 11.00am. This led to a decision for play to start at 12noon, with Gloucestershire winning the toss and inviting Glamorgan to bat first.

The Welsh county made one change to their line-up from the one which drew with Worcestershire with Marchant de Lange replacing the rested Michael Hogan so it was Nick Selman and Charlie Hemphrey who opened the batting as David Payne and Ryan Higgins shared the new ball. Hemphrey steered Higgins for four to third man before Selman off-drove both bowlers.


Day 3

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Evening Update

The rain shower which forced the players off at 3.31pm proved to be a brief one as play resumed immediately afterwards with Graham Wagg making further inroads as George Hankins edged to Nick Selman at second slip. 89-4 saw the arrival of Ryan Higgins and he began by cover-driving Wagg for four before clipping him to the ropes at fine-leg. But Wagg’s perseverance was rewarded as Tom Lace edged a delivery into Cooke’s gloves and departed for 42.

Gareth Roderick became Higgins’ new partner with the latter straight-driving Wagg twice for three before the former opened his account with an off-drive for four followed later in the over by a clip to the mid-wicket ropes against the left-armer. But with the total on 137, Roderick also edged a ball into Cooke’s gloves as Glamorgan secured their second bonus point.

Having been joined by George Scott, Higgins late-cut Douthwaite for four before his new partner unfurled a lofted straight drive for four when Kieran Bull returned to the attack. But next over Marchant de Lange also returned to the fray and found the edge of Scott’s bat as Cooke completed another catch. 155-7 saw David Payne make his way to the middle as Higgins reverse-swept Bull as well as playing some orthodox sweeps against the off-spinner.

Another sweep against Bull however proved to be Higgins’ downfall as he skied a catch to de Lange at deep backward square-leg. Josh Shaw then edged de Lange to second slip where Nick Selman pouched a low catch to his left before Bull ended the innings as Payne chipped a ball back to the bowler with Gloucestershire all out for 181.

After a short break for a light shower, Glamorgan began their second innings with 14 overs remaining as David Payne and Ryan Higgins shared the new ball. Nick Selman flicked Higgins to fine-leg for four shortly before the floodlights came on and then repeated the stroke a few overs later as Josh Shaw entered the attack shortly before the close. Selman also nurdled Higgins to third man in the final over as Glamorgan ended the day on 23-0


Afternoon Report

Gloucestershire had laboured to 14-1 at the interval after the home bowlers had repeatedly beaten the outside edge as the ball continued to dart around. Graham Wagg and Dan Douthwaite resumed the bowling duties with the latter being off-driven for four by Graeme van Buuren. Wagg continued to pose problems with his canny swing at the River End and after several abortive appeals against Ben Charlesworth, the umpire upheld a shout for l.b.w. as Wagg claimed the 247th first-class wicket of his Glamorgan career.

31-2 saw Tom Lace make his way to the middle and he began his Gloucestershire career by thick-edging Wagg to third man for three before edging a drive against van der Gugten over the slip cordon when the Dutchman returned in tandem with Marchant de Lange operating at the Cathedral Road End. Lace square-drove de Lange before van Buuren on-drove van der Gugten for another boundary.

Kieran Bull then entered the attack in the 33rd over and was pulled for four by Lace before van der Gugten nearly held a diving catch at backward square-leg as van Buuren tried to repeat the stroke against the off-spinner. Lace also straight-drove van der Gugten for four before pulling Bull for a second boundary, but with the total on 74, van Buuren was bowled by a jubilant van der Gugten.

George Hankins was the new batsman as Lace twice pulled Bull for further boundaries shortly before a heavy shower descended over the ground and the players went in for an early tea.

Morning Update

With the pitch having been under cover for 36 hours, and dank conditions persisting yesterday at Cardiff, Chris Dent had no hesitation in opting to bowl first when play belatedly began at 12noon. His seam and swing bowlers responded with a fine effort during the 48 overs which followed before a tea-time deluge prompted an early finish.

Besides a scoreboard reading 80-5, a measure of the visitor’s supremacy was that only a couple of boundaries were scored in front of the wicket, with Billy Root pulling a long-hop and Dan Douthwaite unfurling an off-drive, both off George Scott, the former Middlesex all-rounder, who was the fifth seamer on display. In contrast, little was on offer from the other four - David Payne, Ryan Higgins, Josh Shaw and Matt Taylor - whose parsimony and nagging accuracy tied down the home batsmen in the bowler-friendly conditions with no less than 245 dot balls out of 288 deliveries on another rain-shortened day.

In contrast to being greeted by gun-metal grey skies and steady rain, there was plenty of sunshine and blue skies when the players and officials arrived, with play starting on time at 11.00am with Payne and Higgins resuming the bowling duties. With only a single added, Payne struck in the third over as Root edged to second slip where George Hankins took a smart catch moving to his left.

Graham Wagg joined Douthwaite and began by inside-edging Higgins to fine-leg, but with the total on 91 he miscued an on-drive and chipped a ball from Payne into Higgins’ hands running in from mid-on. Payne made further inroads in his next over as Kieran Bull feathered a catch to Roderick before Douthwaite saw Glamorgan into three figures by edging a pull for four against Higgins before swatting a six over mid-wicket a couple of deliveries later.

The all-rounder opened his shoulders again as he drove Payne for four to mid-wicket followed by a lofted drive to long-off, but the bowler atoned next over as he trapped Timm van der Gugten l.b.w. 113/9 then became 116 all out as Josh Shaw returned to the attack and ended the innings by having Marchant de Lange caught behind.

Having lost their last five wickets for 36 runs in the space of 11.3 overs this morning, Glamorgan’s bowlers were looking to extract the same assistance as de Lange and van der Gugten shared the new ball with the left-handed pairing of Chris Dent and Ben Charlesworth opening the batting. Van der Gugten struck with his fifth ball as Dent was caught behind by Chris Cooke without a run on the scoreboard.

Graeme van Buuren began with an on-drive for three against the Dutchman followed by a cover-drive for four whilst de Lange repeatedly beat the bat of Charlesworth whilst operating at the Cathedral Road End. Douthwaite then replaced him shortly before lunch with Wagg also having a trundle at the River End.


Day 4

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Close of Play Report

Glamorgan resumed on 139-8 after tea with Chris Cooke and Timm van der Gugten looking to continue the rearguard action in the remaining 35 overs. The latter duly drove Graeme van Buuren through the covers for four as Matt Taylor continued to probe away at the Cathedral Road End. Josh Shaw then returned at the River End and was glanced to fine-leg by Cooke before the valiant captain completed a three and three-quarter hour fifty by square-cutting Shaw for four.

The final hour began at 5.00pm with 22 overs still remaining as well as two Glamorgan wickets and the Welsh county leading by 108 runs. Payne and Higgins duly joined forces for a final salvo with van der Gugten defiantly on-driving Payne for four. Van Buuren’s left-arm spin was also employed before Taylor returned, but the ninth wicket pair remained defiant with van der Gugten square-cutting Taylor to bring up the 50-stand. With thirteen overs remaining and Glamorgan leading by 132 runs, the players shook hands as the game ended in a draw.

Afternoon report

With Nick Selman having departed to the final ball of the session, it was Tom Cullen who joined Chris Cooke when play resumed after a light shower had prompted an early lunch. Cooke greeted the return of Matt Taylor by on-driving him for three before Cullen pulled him for four. He also square-drove the left-armer for four but Taylor made the perfect riposte next over as he bowled Cullen with the total on 109.

Dan Douthwaite was the new batsman but with the total on 117 David Payne returned and removed the all-rounder, courtesy of a juggling catch by a diving George Hankins at second slip with the fielder pouching the ball at the second attempt. In Payne’s next over, Gareth Roderick also took a good catch diving low to his right as Graham Wagg edged a rising delivery from the left-armer who has been Glamorgan’s nemesis with the ball for several years in encounters between the two teams.

121-7 saw Kieran Bull join Cooke who remained steadfast and content to score in his new partner also dropped anchor as Gloucestershire rotated their bowlers in search of another wicket. It also saw Graeme van Burren's left-arm spin being employed and after an hour of dogged resistance, the twirler breached Bull's defences and bowled him with Glamorgan on 138-8.


Morning Update

Examinations have been front page news over the course of the past days and, whilst government ministers have made a U-turn about using predicted grades for the A-level results, the batsmen on both sides here at Sophia Gardens have faced a stern test in bowler-friendly conditions in the Welsh capital. There has been no need either for any mathematical formulae to explain the dominance of ball over bat, with the most telling statistic being that neither county secured a batting point.

Rain has also played a major hand, with the loss of 133 overs out of the 270 overs possible during the first three days, besides creating dank conditions with Glamorgan starting the final day on 23-0, still trailing by 42 runs after the clatter of fifteen wickets yesterday as Glamorgan were bundled out for 116 before Gloucestershire made 181 in reply,

Matt Taylor gave the visitors the perfect start as he trapped Charlie Hemphrey l.b.w. with the last ball of the opening over before bowling Kiran Carlson as he shouldered arms to the last ball of his second over. The first runs of the day came through a no-ball from Ryan Higgins before Billy Root nurdled Taylor through the slip cordon for four.

Nick Selman also clipped Taylor through mid-wicket for four as well as off-driving the left-armer for four before Root survived a loud appeal for l.b.w. against Higgins. David Payne then replaced Taylor at the River End whilst Josh Shaw returned at the Cathedral Road End and was clipped to the ropes at square-leg by Root. But Payne made the breakthrough as George Hankins at second slip took a superb one-handed catch diving low to his right to grab a outside edge from Root’s bat.

49-3 heralded the arrival of Chris Cooke with his side still 16 runs in arrears and he began with a booming straight drive for four against Payne. Selman then on-drove Shaw for four before Cooke erased the deficit with a flowing cover drive for four against the same bowler. Selman repeated the blow in Shaw’s next over. Ben Charlesworth also had a trundle with Selman steering him through backward point for four.

Shortly before lunch, Selman punched Charlesworth for successive fours through point to become the first batsman in the match to reach fifty – from 110 balls – before Cooke pulled the youngster for four to square-leg. But to what proved to be the final ball of the session Selman departed l.b.w. to Higgins with the players leaving the field as light rain started to fall.