6th September (4 days) 10:30 Bob Willis Trophy Sophia Gardens Cardiff
203 & 265-9
186 & 347-7d
Match Drawn
Glamorgan hold on for a draw after Selman makes 73


A defiant 73 by Nick Selman plus some tail-end resistance helped Glamorgan secure a draw as the Welsh side ended a nail-biting final hour on 265-9 in their Bob Willis Trophy game against Warwickshire at Sophia Gardens.



Day 1

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Close of Play Report

There were 32.5 overs remaining when play resumed at 4pm with Warwickshire on 127-5 and Ian Bell unbeaten on 50. Dan Douthwaite and Michael Hogan continued the bowling with the former ending Bell’s tenure of the crease as he feathered a ball into Tom Cullen’s gloves. His departure saw the arrival of Ethan Brookes but six overs later the teenager edged a ball from Douthwaite to second slip where Selman completed a head-high catch.

138-7 then became 138-8 as Alex Thomson edged a rising ball from Timm van der Gugten into Cullen’s gloves. Liam Norwell defiantly drove Douthwaite to long-off for four before inside-edging the all-rounder to fine-leg, whilst Oliver Hannon-Dalby cover-drove van der Gugten for four. Norwell again opened his shoulder to scythe Douthwaite to the mid-wicket ropes before being snaffled later in the over by Carey as he attempted to repeat the stroke.

Ryan Sidebottom also off-drove van der Gugten for four, but both he and Hannon-Dalby played and missed several times as Carey returned to the fray. Unperturbed, Hannon-Dalby also drove van der Gugten for four through point followed by a clip to mid-wicket for four as the Cardiff floodlights came on. Sidebottom then drove Carey to extra-cover before Hannon-Dalby greeted the return of Hogan by swatting him through mid-wicket. But next ball the evergreen seamer ended the stubborn stand as Hannon-Dalby edged another expansive drive into Cullen’s gloves.

This left Glamorgan with eight overs to face with Hannon-Dalby straight back into the action with the new ball, in tandem with Norwell as Selman and Joe Cooke began Glamorgan’s reply but in the sixth over Selman edged Norwell to Bell at third slip as van der Gugten arrived as night-watchman. He was dropped by Hain next over at second slip as Glamorgan ended the day on 4-1.

Afternoon Update

Ian Bell made a trio of centuries the last summer these two sides met in first-class cricket, with 106*and 115* at Edgbaston, plus 204 at Colwyn Bay during the two Championship matches in 2018. The veteran may have set his sights on a fourth successive first-class century having survived a tricky opening hour this morning and being unbeaten on 37 when play resumed after lunch with Warwickshire on 89-3. Van der Gugten and Carey returned in tandem with the latter removing Dan Mousley who departed l.b.w. for 31 in the fourth over of the session.

Mark Burgess joined Bell who clipped van der Gugten to square-leg for four before off-driving him next over en route to a 102-ball fifty. Burgess survived a dropped catch at fourth slip as he edged Hogan before unfurling a pair of booming cover drives against Carey. But with the total on 117, Burgess edged Carey to second slip where Selman completed a shoulder-high catch. Alex Thomson joined Bell but shortly afterwards light drizzle started to fall and as it intensified the umpires took the players off. An early tea was taken and following an inspection, the umpires agreed to resume play at 4pm with 32.5 overs remaining.


Lunchtime Report

The Welsh county made three changes to their line-up from the defeat a fortnight ago at Northampton with Owen Morgan and Lukas Carey having their first outing of the summer in red ball cricket whilst Tom Cullen takes over the behind the stumps as Chris Cooke played as a specialist batsman – the first time he has not donned the gloves in a first-class match for Glamorgan since June 2016 against Kent, also at Sophia Gardens.

Glamorgan opted to bowl first in the overcast conditions, and on the green-tinged pitch with Timm van der Gugten striking with his fourth delivery as he bowled visiting captain Will Rhodes with his fourth delivery. Rob Yates then cover-drove Carey for four before Sam Hain did the same to the Dutchman, although both batsmen played and missed several times as the new ball pairing bowled a probing line on and around off stump.

Van der Gugten’s persistence was rewarded in the seventh over as he trapped Hain l.b.w. as Ian Bell made his way to the middle for what will be his final first-class match having announced yesterday his intention to retire at the end of the season. He began with confident cover-drives for two and fourbut with the total on 23 Carey found the edge of Rob Yates’ bat with Cullen completing the regulation catch as Glamorgan secured their first bonus point after 35 minutes play.

Dan Mousley began with a flick to long-leg for four against Carey before Bell played another sublime cover drive for four against van der Gugten. Hogan then replaced the Dutchman and found the edge of Bell’s bat with his first delivery as the former England batsman gained another boundary to third man. Later in the over, Nick Selman, at second slip could not quite grasp another edge as he dived across low to his right.

Bell then greeted the introduction of Dan Douthwaite into the attack by cutting him for four before nurdling him to third man as well as off-driving the all-rounder for a pair of fours. Mousley also clipped him to square-leg for four before van der Gugten returned for a short salvo at the River End just before lunch,


Day 2

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Evening update

Glamorgan were still 95 runs in arrears when play resumed at 4pm with Will Rhodes and Liam Norwell bowling to Callum Taylor and Billy Root. The latter cut Rhodes for four to third man before Taylor did the same twice to backward point, followed by a clip to square-leg against Norwell. But Norwell claimed his fourth wicket as Ian Bell, at third slip, held onto a full-bloodied slash from Taylor.

116-6 saw Dan Douthwaite join Root and he began with a four through point against Norwell before on-driving Ryan Sidebottom when the seamer returned at the Cathedral Road End. Later in the over he was nearly caught at mid-off but Rhodes’ spill did not cost a run as next ball Sidebottom breached his defence as Glamorgan slipped to 138-7.

Tom Cullen opened his account by twice steering Sidebottom to the vacant third man position for boundaries before Root sweetly cover-drove Hannon-Dalby for four. But with the total on 162, Sidebottom uprooted Cullen’s middle stump as Lukas Carey made his way to the middle. He off-drove Hannon-Dalby for four before swatting Sidebottom off the back foot through point for another rasping boundary.

The obdurate Root continued to work the ball around for 1’s and 2’s as a lofted drive by Carey against Norwell brought the scores level. Carey then drove a no-ball from Rhodes to the cover ropes for four but two balls he was bowled as Michael Hogan joined Root with the Welsh county on 193-9. Shortly afterwards Root brought up his 50 – and the 200 – by pulling Rhodes over square-leg for six but later in the over, Hogan drove to mid-on as Glamorgan ended on 203.


Afternoon update

It started to rain during the lunch interval and continued until just after 2pm. The umpires - Jeff Evans and Rob White - made an initial inspection at 2.15pm at which they decided to take an early tea and to make a further inspection at 3pm. With moping-up operations underway, it was agreed to resume at 4pm with 33 overs remaining.

Morning update

Warwickshire batsman Ian Bell has enjoyed himself on Welsh soil during his prolific career, making an unbeaten 103 against Sri Lanka in the 2011 Test Match at Cardiff and more recently, a superb double-hundred at Colwyn Bay during the most recent meeting between these two sides in a first-class game in 2018. Having announced his retirement from the county game at the end of the month, it looked for a while yesterday as if Bell would sign off with another three-figure score in Wales, but after posting a sublime fifty, the batsman - who is the last member of England’s 2005 Ashes-winning squad to hang up his boots – became one of three victims for Dan Douthwaite who was in his nappies when Bell’s illustrious county career began in 1999.

Douthwaite, Timm van der Gugten and Lukas Carey all claimed three wickets during probing spells to endorse Chris Cooke’s decision to bowl first under leaden skies and with moisture in the air. Indeed, the loss of time to a heavy downpour yesterday afternoon meant that there were 98 overs in today’s quota when Glamorgan resumed this morning on 4-1, once again in overcast conditions, with Oliver Hannon-Dalby bowling at the River End and Liam Norwell at the Cathedral Road End.

Timm van der Gugten on-drove Norwell for three but the bowler made the perfect riposte next ball as he found the edge of Joe Cooke’s bat with wicket-keeper Michael Burgess completing the regulation catch. 12-2 saw the arrival of Owen Morgan with the new batsman nearly run out without facing a ball as van der Gugten scampered another quick single. The Dutchman then biffed Hannon-Dalby off the back foot through the cover s for four.

The Cardiff floodlights were on as Morgan square-drove Hannon-Dalby with van der Gugten pulling Norwell for four through mid-wicket. But once again, Norwell responded by having an appeal upheld for the Dutchman being caught behind as Chris Cooke made his way to the middle with his side on 29-3. He started by on-driving Hannon-Dalby for four before outside-edging Will Rhodes over the slip cordon for a second four.

Cooke also clipped his opposite number to square-leg for four before doing the same to Hannon-Dalby, with Morgan guiding Ryan Sidebottom to third man prior to a rasping square-cut by Cooke against the Anglo-Australian. Norwell duly switched to the River End and was cover-driven for four by Morgan before Cooke drilled Sidebottom through extra cover for four. But Rhodes returned to the attack and ended the stand with the total on 82 as Cooke edged to Burgess. One run later Rhodes struck again as he ended Morgan’s obdurate innings as he bowled him for 28 with Callum Taylor joining Billy Root shortly before lunch. The latter completed his 1,000th first-class run for his adopted county by cover-driving Hannon-Dalby.


Day 3

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Evening Report

Warwickshire were leading by 210 runs when play began after tea with the possibility of the visitors wanting to add a further hundred or so to their tally before having a short spell of bowling before the close. Van der Gugten and Morgan resumed the bowling duties with the latter removing Burgess as he looked to flay the spinner into the offside with Cullen completing the catch. Alex Thomson joined Mousley who flicked van der Gugten to fine-leg for four before the new man pulled the Dutchman for four.

Thomson also drove Morgan over long-on for six before Mousley greeted the return of Hogan by on-driving him for three. With the Cardiff floodlights switched on, Thomson also cover-drove Hogan for four before Mouley clipped Taylor for four to mid-wicket followed by a late cut for four as he completed a 62-ball fifty. He also flicked Hogan to fine-leg for four before straight-driving Taylor for another four as the lead approached the 300-mark.

However, Thomson holed out at long-on as he attempted to deposit Taylor into the River Stand. With Ethan Brookes as his new partner, Mousley flicked Hogan to square-leg for four followed by a drive to the boards at long-on. Brookes then switch-hit Taylor for four before the drizzle which had been falling for around half-an-hour intensified and the umpires briefly took the players off causing the loss of two overs.

Mousley’s career-best innings then ended as he skied Douthwaite to Joe Cooke at deep extra cover. Liam Norwell then drove Morgan for six before Warwickshire declared on 347-7 leaving Glamorgan a target of 331 in a minimum of 95 overs. Norwell and Hannon-Dalby shared the new ball as Nick Selman and Joe Cooke began Glamorgan’s second innings. Selman clipped Norwell to square-leg for four as Glamorgan ended the day on 9-0.

Afternoon Update

After his pre-lunch cameo, it looked as if Ian Bell was determined to mark his final appearance on the first-class stage with another three-figure score against the Welsh county – his fourth in five innings against Glamorgan - with the former England batsman unbeaten on 46 when play resumed after the interval with Warwickshire on 129-2 and a lead of 112.

With Carey still off the field with an injury to his side, Timm van der Gugten and Michael Hogan continued the bowling duties as Bell completed his fifty from 63 balls with another laconic cover drive against Hogan – his eighth four. Callum Taylor then returned at the River End with a single by Hain bringing up the hundred stand before another single saw him complete his own fifty, from 106 balls.

Dan Douthwaite replaced Hogan at the Cathedral Road End and was twice driven through the covers by Bell , before being dispatched through mid-on for another boundary. He then pulled Douthwaite for four before Hain also drilled Taylor through mid-on for four. Owen Morgan then had a trundle at the River End and was driven through the covers by Bell but with the total on 196 Douthwaite ended the stand as Hain edged into Cullen’s gloves having added 143 in 40.3 overs with Bell.

Dan Mousley began with a clip to square-leg for four against Douthwaite before a thick edge through the gully and a lofted on-drive against Morgan for further boundaries. Van der Gugten then returned at the Cathedral Road End and immediately ended Bell’s innings as, on 90, he played onto his stumps against the Dutchman with the old warrior departing to plenty of applause from the Glamorgan players as well as his Warwickshire colleagues on the dressing room balcony.

His efforts meant that Warwickshire had a lead of 200 as Michael Burgess joined forces with Mousley as Hogan returned for a short salvo before tea. Burgess duly flicked Hogan to square-leg for four.

Morning Report

An obdurate fifty by Billy Root plus a watchful innings by Own Morgan helped Glamorgan yesterday to eke out a slender 17-run lead over Warwickshire with the visitors starting their second innings this morning knowing that the first session could determine the outcome of this keenly-fought and enthralling contest which has so far been dominated by the swing and seam bowlers.

There was plenty of cloud cover this morning when play began as Lukas Carey and Timm van der Gugten shared the new ball and eager to make inroads. Will Rhodes and Rob Yates began watchfully with the latter off-driving and cover-driving van der Gugten, before Rhodes unfurled a booming off-drive against Carey as Warwickshire wiped off the arrears.

But the Dutchman struck in his third over as Yates edged a ball low to second slip where Nick Selman completed an outstanding one-handed catch diving low to his right. 20-1 saw the arrival of Sam Hain who on-drove Carey for four before Rhodes dispatched van der Gugten for four through extra-cover, followed by a firmly-struck on-drive to the boards at the River End.

Hogan then struck in his fourth over as Rhodes edged to Selman who completed his second catch, with his departure on 53-2 seeing the arrival of Ian Bell with the Glamorgan fielders being joined by the umpires to form a guard of honour and applauding as the former England batsman and member of the 2005 Ashes-winning squad, made his way to the middle for his last innings in first-class cricket.

Hain flicked Hogan to mid-wicket for four before surviving a loud appeal for l.b.w. against the veteran, as Carey switched to the River End and was straight-driven and on-driven for a pair of fours by Bell. An injury though prevented Carey from continuing as Dan Douthwaite completed the over. Hain clipped the all-rounder for four to square-leg before Bell cover-drove Hogan for three followed by an exquisite dab to the ropes at third man against Douthwaite.

Bell did the same when van der Gugten returned at the Cathedral Road End, followed by a pair of rasping square-cuts as the 100 came up in the 22nd over. Glamorgan switched to spin at the River End as Callum Taylor entered the attack. Hain drilled him through cover for four before outside-edging Douthwaite for four to third man.



Day 4

(writes Andrew Hignell)

Close of Play report

Glamorgan needed a further 187 runs and Warwickshire six wickets in 34 overs when play resumed after tea with Nick Selman and Callum Taylor facing Liam Norwell and Ryan Sidebottom. After some quick singles, Selman on-drive Sidebottom for four before Taylor, after facing a surfeit of short-pitched deliveries cover drove Rhodes for four before Oliver Hannon-Dalby returned with 25 overs remaining for one final salvo.

Taylor guided Hannon-Dalby safely to the vacant third man boundary before skewing Rhodes through the gully for another four. But with the total on 179 Taylor’s valiant innings ended as he fended off a ball from Rhodes into Dan Mousley’s hands at short-leg. Dan Douthwaite joined Selman with 21.5 overs remaining as Norwell replaced Rhodes at the River End.

But it was Hannon-Dalby who claimed the next wicket as he had an lbw appeal upheld against Selman after the opener had occupied the crease for five and three-quarter hours. 187-6 saw the arrival of Tom Cullen who, after a couple of singles, guided Norwell to the point boundary as Douthwaite defended stoutly. Cullen also cover-drove Rhodes for a pair of fours to bring up the 200. He also twice off-drove and pulled Thomson for a trio of boundaries before, with the total on 220, being trapped l.b.w. by the spinner.

Sidebottom returned to the fray as Timm van der Gugten joined Douthwaite and he removed the latter as he edged into Burgess’ gloves. 220-8 saw the arrival of Lukas Carey who twice swatted Sidebottom for four through point before Norwell and Hannon-Dalby returned armed with the new ball. Despite the presence of five slips, van der Gugten defiantly hit the first delivery with the new cherry for four through the covers before clipping the paceman to the ropes at square-leg.

The Dutchman also nonchalantly drove Norwell to square-leg and extra-cover for further boundaries but with 18 balls remaining Carey edged Hannon-Dalby to second slip where Hain jubilantly completed the catch as Michael Hogan made his way to the middle and, despite a gaggle of six slips, defended stoutly. Van der Gugten then played out a maiden from Norwell before Hogan played and missed at the first two deliveries of the final over from Hannon-Dalby. He then shouldered arms to the third before cover-driving the fourth and getting a single into the covers from the fifth. Van der Gugten then watched the final delivery pass by as the game ended in a draw.


Teatime Report

Glamorgan began the afternoon session on 69-2, needing a further 262 runs from the remaining 62 overs. The former Yorkshire duo of Will Rhodes and Oliver Hannon-Dalby resumed the bowling with Chris Cooke nurdling the latter for three through the gully. Selman, who had scored a dozen runs in the opening session, then cover-drove three consecutive deliveries from Rhodes for four but with the total on 96 Cooke edged a drive against Hannon-Dolby and was caught by Burgess .

Billy Root joined Selman as Alex Thomson’s off-spin was introduced at the River End shortly before the Sophia Gardens floodlights were also briefly employed. Selman then on-drove Hannon-Dalby for four before Root clipped the Yorkshireman to fine-leg for four. Next ball, though, Root spliced a rising delivery to second slip where Sam Hain completed the head high catch with Glamorgan on 112-4.

Callum Taylor began with a rasping square-cut against Hannon-Dalby before Selman flicked Thomson for three to fine-leg to complete a 146-ball fifty after almost three and a half hours at the crease. Taylor also square-drove Thomson for four before Norwell and Sidebottom delivered a probing spell in tandem just before tea.


Lunchtime Report

The curtain comes down today on Glamorgan’s first-class season. Yesterday was all about a farewell performance from former England veteran Ian Bell who bowed out ten runs short of what would have been his 58th and final first-class hundred. Today, the spotlight falls on the cast of the Welsh county whose batsmen need to score a further 322 runs to win the game or bat out 90 overs to secure a draw in their closing match in the Bob Willis Trophy.

Nick Selman and Joe Cooke began today’s proceedings with Glamorgan on 9-0 with Oliver Hannon-Dalby and Liam Norwell continuing the bowling duties. Cooke on-drove Norwell for three before cover-driving him for four. The left-hander also dabbed Norwell through the gully for four before producing a coruscating cover drive for four against Hannon-Dalby.

After a phase of quiet reconnaissance, Selman clipped Hannon-Dalby to square-leg for four, but Ryan Sidebottom replaced Norwell at the Cathedral Road End and found the edge of Cooke’s bat with wicket-keeper Michael Burgess completing the catch moving to his left in front of first slip. 35-1 immediately became 35-2 as Owen Morgan was bowled first ball before Selman survived the hat-trick ball from Sidebottom in his next over having been joined by Chris Cooke.

The captain began with a booming cover drive for four against Will Rhodes before square-driving Norwell when he returned shortly before lunch. Cooke also drilled Ethan Brookes through the covers before clipping him to the ropes at fine-leg.