Comprehensive win for England in 1st T20

21 Jun 2017 | Cricket
England completed a demolition job against South Africa in the first of three NatWest International T20 fixtures in Southampton, as they triumphed by 9 wickets and with over 5 overs to spare.

England's only wicket to fall in chasing 143 to win was that of Jason Roy for 28 off 14 balls. Hales finished with 47 off 38 balls and Bairstow 60 off 35. The partnership was worth 98 runs off 62 balls and South Africa couldnt live with the power hitting.

In truth the struggled from the off, with JJ Smuts dismissed first ball to David Willey and Mark Wood also claiming two more wickets in the powerplay overs, it was left to Farhaan Behardien and captain AB de Villiers to steer the tourists to respectabaility. But England got off to a flyer and the target was soon in sight for a comprehensive victory to start the series and return England to winning ways in white-ball cricket.

"I’m pretty pleased," said Man of the match Jonny Bairstow. "There’s a few shots in there I didn’t have 18 months ago. I’m feeling good. It’s all about being clinical, that’s the nature of how we are as a side. The lads bowled outstanding well, taking wickets up front and then the spinners tied them down."

England captain Eoin Morgan: "I thought we were excellent, we took early wickets and put them on the back foot. Very impressive the way our spinners went about their business. If Jason does manage to get away he can take the game away and when you’re chasing a score like 140 it can take the game away a bit."

"It's difficult to sum up a performance like that," said South Africa captain AB De Villiers. "Obviously the result doesn't look good for us. I reckon 20 or 30 more woulkd have been a good total - we lost our way in the first six and had to rebuild a bit. A couple more with the new ball would have helped."

England go 1-0 up in the three-match series, which moves on to Taunton on Friday, before concluding in Cardiff on Sunday.

There is limited ticket availability in blocks 26-30 for Sunday's game. CLICK HERE to secure your seats